Q: Steering wheel tightening up when making a sharp turn

When I turn the steering wheel more than halfway around, it tightens up. What would cause this?

If your truck has a rack and pinion power steering setup, the rack and pinion gears may be binding internally. If your truck has a gearbox setup, the power steering gearbox gears may be binding internally.

I would recommend having your power steering fluid checked for metal shavings. If there are metal shavings in your power steering fluid, this may be an indication that the gears in your power steering gearbox or rack and pinion are wearing away. This can be due to driving with low power steering fluid for long periods of time.

After the fluid is checked for metal shavings, a good visual inspection of the rest of the power steering system performed by a certified mechanic would be a good idea.

3. Steering wheel tightening up when making a sharp turn