Truck overheats when temp outside is below freezing overh...

Q: Truck overheats when temp outside is below freezing

asked by on December 19, 2016

I'm having a problem with my truck overheating when I start it in the morning. when the day goes by and it warms up a little bit it runs just fine it's only when it's below freezing which is usually in the morning

If the engine is only overheating when temperature drops below freezing then the most likely cause is the coolant in the engine is freezing due to incorrect mixture with too much water. Have the coolant flushed out and replace with new coolant mixed for the temperatures you are in. A mix of 50/50 coolant to distilled or deionized water. You may want to also replace the thermostat while the coolant is drained.