Q: Check Engine Light came on

Car had rough idle and sputters when driven. I scanned it and got 3 error codes in the following order: 1) P0305 2) P0496 3) P0305.

You need to have the purge valve checked to see if it is flowing vapor from the fuel tank when the engine is at idle. The flow will cause the engine to run too rich and can cause the cylinder number 5 misfire. Once the purge valve is fixed then you can see if the misfire is gone or if it needs additional attention.

I’d recommend having the vehicle looked at by a certified mechanic, they will be able to diagnose these trouble codes and your rich running symptoms firsthand. Once this assessment is done, a proper and accurate repair can be made to get your vehicle running nicely again.

3. Check Engine Light came on