Q: Why is my car making a whining noise in the low gears

My car is making a whining noise all the time in low gears especially when i first pull off and the car is cold I'm assuming that the transmission fluid may need to be changed as well as the filter since I do not remember ever changing that. The car has a Hemi engine and has been well taken care of

A: Hello. Most of the time when this noise occ...

Hello. Most of the time when this noise occurs when you first start moving and gets louder as you drive it is due to a failure in one of the thrust bearings in the transmission. If the transmission fluid has not been changed in 182,000 miles then that usually equates to some serious internal transmission failures.

I’d typically start the repair process by removing the transmission oil pan and inspect the fluid for any metal or clutch debris. If there is any then the transmission will more than likely need to be rebuilt.

If you need some help with fixing this, you should enlist the help of a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic. One of our mobile technicians will be able to come to your home and diagnose the noise you’re hearing firsthand for an accurate repair.