Q: How often to change the oil

Hello, I need some advice related to oil changing in my car. I am not sure about the BMW's recommendation. I changed my oil at 12,000 miles. My car has gone 18,000 miles. According to the service indicator, I should wait more before I change my oil. It's now been 6,000 miles from the last oil change. I drive around the city half the time. Also, half the time I drive on the highway, going on 50-mile trips. How often should I change oil?

Most of the time you will want to go with the manufacturer’s recommendation for oil change intervals. However, if the oil change interval is a very high number such as one with five digits, I certainly dont think it would hurt to change the oil a little sooner. You could actually change your oil every day if you wanted to and would not harm your vehicle in any way.

A general rule of thumb is somewhere between three and five thousand miles. On full synthetic oil it is ok to go closer to the five thousand mark. Owning a luxurious car can make an owner nervous about waiting such a long time between oil changes, so, knowing that changing your oil as often as you want will not harm your vehicle, your mind should be at ease.

3. How often to change the oil