Q: How often to change the oil

asked by on May 24, 2016

Hello, I need some advice related to oil changing in my car. I am not sure about the BMW's recommendation. I changed my oil at 12,000 miles. My car has gone 18,000 miles. According to the service indicator, I should wait more before I change my oil. It's now been 6,000 miles from the last oil change. I drive around the city half the time. Also, half the time I drive on the highway, going on 50-mile trips. How often should I change oil?

Most of the time you will want to go with the manufacturer’s recommendation for oil change intervals. However, if the oil change interval is a very high number such as one with five digits, I certainly dont think it would hurt to change the oil a little sooner. You could actually change your oil every day if you wanted to and would not harm your vehicle in any way.

A general rule of thumb is somewhere between three and five thousand miles. On full synthetic oil it is ok to go closer to the five thousand mark. Owning a luxurious car can make an owner nervous about waiting such a long time between oil changes, so, knowing that changing your oil as often as you want will not harm your vehicle, your mind should be at ease.