Q: What happens regarding VIN # when engine is replaced?

asked by on July 29, 2017

I took my car in for extensive exhaust and tune up work. Long story short, some serious mistakes were made and my engine was damaged when drilling spark plugs that had snapped off. A piece fell into the engine and someone unknowingly turned the engine over. This mishap requires that they replace the entire engine. I'm told I'll be getting a "reclaimed" engine. My questions:

1. What exactly is a reclaimed engine? Should I be concerned? Can the mileage be turned back, leading me to believe the engines are comparable?

2. How does this effect the VIN #? Do I have to get a new title? Does this have to be reported to my insurance company, since it won't be the same VIN # they currently have on file?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Firstly, I believe that a reclaimed engine is an engine from a vehicle that has been salvaged but was rear-ended or something. This means that the engine was unaffected by the accident and is therefore in good running condition. As for the mileage on the vehicle itself there would be no need to reset it because the mileage on the engine and the mileage on the vehicle are different from each other. The mileage you see on your dash tracks the mileage total on the vehicle. As long as the engine itself is the same engine it should be compatible with your vehicle. As for getting a new title or reporting this to insurance or anything related to that I would recommend looking up your local state laws and contacting your insurance company for those particular answers however I don’t believe that any of that will be necessary since the VIN number is the vehicle identification number not the engine identification number.