Q: Car won't start with new battery after sitting a year

My car has trouble starting. For nearly a year, it sat without being driven. There was no battery in it during that year of inactivity and there was no anti-theft system. There is now a new battery installed in the car. It just won’t start via the turn-key method; the car won’t crank at all when turning the key. Both the battery and the starter are good. I can start my car with a remote starter tool which has a switch and positive/negative clamps. When using the remote starter, the clutch pedal has to be pressed, of course. Once it turns, there is a click inside the cabin. I can tell that the click is not coming from the starter. I have used multiple new batteries and no matter what battery is used, when I jump-start the car, it will not crank at all when turning the key. Can you help me identify what the problem is and how to fix it?

A: Hello. If the vehicle only starts with the ...

Hello. If the vehicle only starts with the jumper wire method, then it is likely its an issue with the ignition switch itself. It's possible that the switch itself is bad or the key has a become bad. Try starting it with another key if you have one to see if that helps out. If that doesn't work, then I suggest that you have a technician inspect the condition of the ignition switch & cylinder in order to diagnose your no-start issue.