Q: RPM's are higher than normal on gear changes

Hello, I recently changed my battery as well as my MAF sensor. I noticed that my rpms used to go up to 2.5-3 then change gears but now it reaches 4-4.5 after the fix. Is that normal and why does that happen?

Hello. It may be possible that the computer is programmed to delay shifting when the vehicle is cold, in order to help warm up the vehicle faster. Once the vehicle warms up, however, shifting should return to normal. If the problem persists even after the vehicle is warmed up, then that may be a sign of a potential issue. The first thing I would check is to make sure that the transmission fluid is at the proper level and topped off.

If the fluid is okay, then there that may be an indicator of a possible issue with the transmission. A few things that can cause late shifting are faulty speed sensors, faulty shift solenoids, or a faulty transmission. I would recommend having the vehicle driven and diagnosed by a professional technician to determine the cause of the shifting concern.

3. RPM's are higher than normal on gear changes