Q: Knocking noise - 1997 Oldsmobile 98

There is a knocking noise in my engine. I took off the drive belt and started the car. The knocking noise disappeared. So far, I have replaced the water pump, p/s pump, and idler pulley, but the knocking is still there. I haven't replaced the alternator or a/c compressor.

A: Hi! I recommend having a close inspection o...

Hi! I recommend having a close inspection of the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft. When the rubber that’s bonded between the pulley and the hub begins to fail and separate, it starts to move around and can make a knocking sound. If you need help with a repair, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the knocking noise firsthand and make the correct repair.