Q: My car has a hard time starting and when it finally does it shakes violently then dies.

My car has a hard time starting and when it finally does the engine shakes and rattles violently, then dies. Fuel pump, perhaps?

Hello there, many different faults can cause your 2002 Ford Focus to start then die. The most common causes would be a vacuum leak, faulty oxygen sensor, exhaust leak, alternator, battery cable, wiring harness fault, fuel pump, fuel filter, or a mass airflow sensor. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the starting issue and make the repairs required to get your vehicle running properly.

• My car has a hard time starting and when it finally does it shakes violently then dies.