Q: The anti-theft light is on and the car will start but will not shift out of park

Antitheft light is on. Car will start but not shift out of park. dash also reads service required. can't believe it won't let me clear or reset so that I can drive it to the dealer.

Hello. The symptoms you are experiencing are commonly caused by a faulty shift interlock solenoid. The shift interlock solenoid is the component responsible for allowing the transmission to be safely shifted from park and neutral into a gear that transmits power, such as drive or reverse.

If this component fails, it may cause issues with or even prevent the transmission shifting into gear. You also mention that the "anti-theft" and "service" lights are on, which indicate a possible issue with the security system, which may also be a possible cause for the shifting issues.

I would start by scanning the computer for trouble codes, as they will likely shed some light on what the problem may be, and then checking the shift solenoid, which is accessible from the interior of the vehicle, by disassembling the center console. If you would like to have a technician inspect the car at the site of the car, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can diagnose the warning light and proceed with the proper correction.

3. The anti-theft light is on and the car will start but will not shift out of park