Q: If the wheel bearing is bad on an '06 Explorer, does the entire wheel hub assembly need to be replaced or just the bearing?

asked by on September 30, 2017

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD V6 4.0L: I believe I have a bad wheel bearing on the front driver side. I would like to know if only the wheel bearing can be replaced or does the entire wheel hub assembly need to be replaced. Thanks

In your particular model vehicle, the wheel bearing comes pressed into the hub assembly. It may be possible to have the old wheel bearing pressed out and have a new bearing pressed into the hub assembly, however the machine work and labor involved in doing so will likely exceed the cost of purchasing the new hub assembly with the new bearing already pressed in.