Q: Car jerks heavily at stops

My car makes a loud ca-chunk noise at stops. It feels like the car is going to separate in two -- it's really forceful. It doesn't happen at every stop, but about 50% of the time.

I am sorry to see that your newer BMW is experiencing issues with noise so quickly. Though ideally I would have more information before providing a diagnosis, I will attempt to hopefully steer you in the right direction toward what may be going on in your 1 series BMW. First on our list is to verify there are no loose objects inside the cabin or trunk of the car. I cannot tell you how many times I have performed test drives, especially on newer vehicles, and have found a long forgotten gallon of water or some other heavy object in the trunk bouncing around and making noise. While this is the most common reason, if this is not the cause of the noise you are experiencing, then the other areas I would next inspect on your BMW would be the transmission, suspension and braking systems.

There are many components that make up the braking, suspension and transmission systems in your BMW and they all need to work together in harmony to keep your and your vehicle driving safely. With so many variables playing a role, it is best to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic, such as one from Your Mechanic, to come to your home or office and provide you with a test drive to confirm what the noise is that you are hearing. Once the mechanic is able to diagnose the noise they can also perform a visual inspection based on the area the noise is coming from.

Once the problem is located, the mechanic can aide in repairing your vehicle and getting you back on the road worry free.

3. Car jerks heavily at stops