Q: When it's hot outside, the car will overheat after driving a long distance. It doesn't do it in cold weather.

asked by on November 12, 2016

My car wants to over heat when I drive a long distance in the summer it doesn't do it if I drive a short distance and now that's it's cold weather it doesn't want to over heat I add coolant to it constantly but the reservoir don't loose any or take any water ever and I don't see the coolant leaking on the ground what could be my problem

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. When coolant gets hot, it expands. Which is why the overflow reservoir exists. If the vehicle tends to overheat during the hot summer season, it may be contributed to the air conditioning system. Anytime you turn the AC on, it’s puts more stress and load on the engine; which can create overheating issues if there is a small coolant leak or issue with cooling system components. Since it’s Winter, it might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete an overheating inspection; to ensure that your PT Cruiser does not have engine issues next year or in the near future.