Q: My car cuts off without any warning signs and it was hard for me to turn the steering wheel. It was smoking a little under the hood.

asked by on March 17, 2017

My car just cut off when I was parking.It also cut off on me as soon as I left the gas station and there were no warning signs.There isn't any check engine light on also I just got a new battery.The steering got pretty hard as well it was so difficult to turn the wheel.I don't know what it could be.Could you please help me? It also said check charging system, I drove it home but it was about a half of mile.

Fuel Injector Replacement $383.27 - $3870.61 Get a Quote
Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The issue may be that when the vehicle was filled up, there may have been trash in the gas tank and it may have been stirred up into the fuel system which may have clogged up the fuel injectors. I suggest putting in a fuel injection cleaner to help clean out any trash buildup in the fuel system and in the fuel injectors.

For the charging system issue, check all of the wire connections from the alternator to the fuse box and check the battery cables. If the alternator is not charging the battery, then the alternator would need checked for a load and voltage operation. If the alternator fails the test, then I suggest replacing the alternator. If the alternator passes the test, then there is a break in the wiring from the alternator to the battery.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with your engine stalling out.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr