Q: Engine shudder while driving, burnt rubber smell

I usually had no issue while driving this car, only slight shaking. However, now there is significant engine shudder when it's running. There is also a burnt rubber smell. What is going on with it? Is my engine going out?

Hello. Most of the time, this is the first indication that the timing belt is failing. The timing belt needs to be checked to see if it is going bad. If the belt is fine, then you may have a turbo that is going bad. I usually check the computer for any codes after the belt is inspected.

If the belt and the turbo are fine, then it may be an internal engine issue so a compression test would also need to be done. If you need to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the engine’s shaking and shuddering issue so that you can get your car back on the road.

3. Engine shudder while driving, burnt rubber smell