Q: Excessive use of coolant

asked by on March 04, 2017

My Chrysler 300 is using excessive coolant. With in 3 days it goes all the way down making my car to shut off and the check engine light to appear along with the bolt. If I fill up the coolant it runs fine. But I haven't noticed any leaks of coolant so what other cause can it be.

Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Without any signs of exterior coolant leaks, the leak will likely be interior. Most commonly this is a result of a failed head gasket. It will allow the coolant into the combustion chamber, and the vehicle will burn it with the fuel/air mixture. This typically results in white smoke from the exhaust. If the head gasket is not to blame, then there is likely a more serious engine black crack, or freeze plug that has come out. Even with these options, you typically see some leakage from the exterior of the engine. For more help finding the leak or replacing the head gasket, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.