If my car leaks oil and if i use synthetic will it leak m...

Q: If my car leaks oil and if i use synthetic will it leak more

asked by on May 13, 2017

If my car leaks oil if i put synthetic will it leak more 10w30

The consensus in the industry does seem to be that existing leaks will leak more, to some degree, with the use of synthetic oil. This is ONLY the case if you have existing leaks and how much more of a leak you will have depends on several factors. If your vehicle’s seals are in good or new condition though, switching to synthetic oil will not cause or promote engine oil leaks. Many oil leaks on engines are readily repairable and frankly no matter what oil you are using if you have a confirmed leak, the best thing to do is just get the leak repaired. If you desire a leak diagnostic and repair estimate, please use YourMechanic’s oil leak diagnostic page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.