Q: Car sounds like old bed spring

My car sounds like an old bed spring whenever I go over bumps on the road and I know it's not supposed to sound like that. Is it a ball strut?

Struts or any number of suspension components can cause a squeaking noise over bumps or when turning. Typically, components like ball joints can be the cause. In most modern vehicles, components like ball joints are greased and sealed at the factory. They do not have grease fittings to regularly add grease during routine services. With age, the grease dries out and you wind up with metal rubbing against metal inside the ball joints and tie rods. Also, bushings like control arm or sway bar bushings can make noise with age. Bushings are typically made out of rubber. Rubber hardens and cracks with age. When this happens, squeaking or even banging/rattling can occur. A certified technician can inspect suspension to find which component is causing the noise.

3. Car sounds like old bed spring