Q: Total Engine Replacement

Engine does not start; Timing Belt is broken; Need Engine Replacement.

What is the cost of the engine replacement? Thank you!

If only the timing belt is broken, and there is no valve train or piston damage (due to the belt break for instance), or other engine damage, it will be more cost effective to repair the engine and even do additional repairs if say you have leaks, than it would be to install a new engine. To explore that possibility, and to have a certified mechanic check out the entire engine (do compression tests and so forth), please simply request timing belt replacement of course making clear the larger context of your inquiry. If, though, you know for sure that you just want to change out the engine (not a bad idea but normally, you should get at least somewhat beyond 230,000 on a Honda engine) because you know of significant damage the cost will vary greatly depending on whether you install a new (remanufactured) crate engine or a used engine. If you go with a new engine, your installed costs would be in the neighborhood of $5,000 to $6,000 (VERY roughly and highly dependent on the re-usability of engine accessories, etc.). If putting a new engine in, you also have to consider that once the engine and transaxle assembly are removed from the vehicle, the transmission absolutely should be rebuilt as well, unless you want to go through the whole removal exercise again when the transmission predictably fails. Transmissions don’t last forever. If you are going to re-build what you have costs will be much less, maybe "half" the new cost but you will be very busy for months on a project like that. Unless you are absolutely positive you need a new engine, you should seek out the timing repair, and perhaps other repairs, and wait until the engine has "completely" failed. Select YourMechanic professionals will do engine swaps in a variety of locales around the country. You just simply have to call in and see if such service is available in your specific city and state. Please let us know how we can help you further to the end of resolving this and getting your car functioning again.

3. Total Engine Replacement