Is it normal for a 127k mileage car to consume 1 qt of oi...

Q: Is it normal for a 127k mileage car to consume 1 qt of oil every 3k miles?

asked by on September 08, 2017

Otherwise runs perfectly fine. I average 150 miles daily with hard driving.

That is excessive oil consumption. But at that rate, it might be something you can live with. Turbocharged engines will tend to use more oil than conventional engines. But there are a few things you want to look out for. First you want to do the old "look underneath the car and check for puddles" test. If the car has a leak, you should get that fixed right away. If the oil is not leaking out, then it is being burned in the engine or in the turbocharger. Best case scenario, there is a clogged crankcase vent. That is a relatively easy fix and can solve the problem by relieving pressure in the crankcase. Otherwise you could be looking at major engine or turbo repair. If the car is really only using a quart every three thousand miles, it’s not really a problem until either it starts fouling spark plugs, (you’ll know when that happens because the engine will start misfiring) or the car fails an emissions test because of high hydrocarbons (not a problem in some states). The most important thing to do is be sure the car does not run low on oil and keep up with the oil changes. If the consumption becomes a real problem, contact YourMechanic to have a techniciancome out to your home or office to check out your oil consumption problem and recommend a solution.