Q: What does it mean if the Low Oil Pressure light comes on in the dash?

What does it mean if the Low Oil Pressure light comes on in the dash?

A: Your car has quite a few important lights o...

Your car has quite a few important lights on the dash designed to provide information and alert you to impending problems. The Low Oil Pressure light (looks like a little oil can) should come on briefly during startup and then go out. However, if it comes on and stays on, it indicates a potentially very serious problem. Here’s what to do:

1. Pull over (safely)

2. Turn on your hazard lights

3. Shut off the engine

4. Allow the engine to sit for a couple of minutes

5. Pop the hood

6. Open the hood

7. Check the oil level

8. If it’s low, top it off to full

9. Replace the oil cap

10. Start the engine

11. Watch the Low Oil Pressure light. If it does not go out after a few seconds, do not drive the car. Call a tow truck.