Q: Trunk latch is not working

I've had this issue for the past year or so where the trunk latch won't engage after the trunk release button on the fob or the dash is pushed. When I do press the trunk release button, the latch motor (solenoid possibly?) makes a buzzing/screeching sound. I've fixed it a few times before, but have never actually figured out what it was that fixed it. Currently I've pulled the fuse to keep trunk light off so I don't keep draining the battery. Any ideas?

A: If the trunk releases manually, but does no...

If the trunk releases manually, but does not open with the fob or interior button, the problem is likely a failed trunk solenoid. Especially since you said it makes a strange sound when you attempt to open it. That implies that the solenoid is getting proper power and ground - it just isn't working.

I suggest you have a professional inspect your vehicle's trunk in person to determine if my diagnosis is correct. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.