Q: Rear end noise, weak acceleration

When I drive the car it starts making some unusual noises that are coming from the rear end. I'm having difficulty accelerating as well. I was wondering if this could a rear differential problem. If that's the case, would I have to get the entire differential system replaced? What else could be causing these problems?

A: Hello. A better description of what it soun...

Hello. A better description of what it sounds like would help me to determine what you need. If you are getting a grinding, growling, or popping noise, then it is more than likely a failing rear differential. These commonly fail due to lack of maintenance. I would usually drain the fluid in the differential and look for metal in the oil. If there is metal in there, then the differential will either need to be rebuilt or completely replaced. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and determine the cause of your acceleration issue.