Q: Transmission fail safe program message came on the dashboard.

My transmission fail safe program message came on my dash . Did a manual reset of the computer didn't work. Changed the battery as well because I read it could be the battery or aletnator that did not work as well. When i put the car in reverse I get a knocking noise , worried it's something to do with the transimission . Any advice appreciated . Thanks My car has 95000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

Hi there. The fail safe light is on for something went wrong with your transmission. The light comes on to warn the driver that there has been an issue with a system and causing the circuits to malfunction or shut off to prevent any further damage. In your case, the transmission makes a knocking sound while in reverse. There could be a bearing or a broke input drive shell to the reverse drive. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission knocking noise.

3. Transmission fail safe program message came on the dashboard.