Q: Loss of power while driving the car after it gets moving. Steering also goes out. I shut car off and start it back up and it's fine.

Loss of power while driving the car after it gets moving. Steering also goes out. I shut car off and start it back up and it's fine.

Hi, thanks for writing in. There are a few components that can cause these issues. The easiest part to inspect for proper function is the drive belt(s). If these are slipping, stretching, or breaking they will slip and can cause the engine to stall. It will also cause your power steering to fail. There are sensors that control the communication to the computer that will stall the engine and it’s accessories. You should have the camshaft sensor, and the crankshaft sensor inspected. If these are failing, it can produce the same types of symptoms. Often a scan of diagnostic troubleshooting codes will inform you when one of these sensors have failed. This usually triggers a check engine light of some sort. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.

3. Loss of power while driving the car after it gets moving. Steering also goes out. I shut car off and start it back up and it's fine.