Q: Engine Oil Consumption

About every 1000 miles I need to add engine oil about 3/4 quart. What should be normal consumption? I have some synthetic Mobil1 5w-20 oil. Can I use for top up? I use regular 5W-20 oil.

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Conventional, mineral-based engine oil and synthetic engine oils are completely miscible and thus you can top off with either. Your oil consumption is relatively high. There is a wide range of values for the "normal" or average rate of oil consumption but a bottom line is using close to one quart in 1,000 is outside the normal range. You have either an external leak, and/or oil is getting into the combustion chambers from leaking valve stem oil seals, leaking valve guides and/or leaking piston rings. Any of these potential sources can be evaluated by a certified Mechanic during an oil leak diagnostic.