Q: my car idle too high whining when accelerating and car hesitates going in reverse

asked by on December 25, 2017

my car idle high and leaks tranmission fluid because too much was added i'm told it will just come out via overflow the first problem was idle high and hesitate to reverse it does it so slow so the so called mechanic fix the front axle saying that was the problem and it was low and transmission fluid now since then it's leaking transmission cause he put too much in saying what i said before and a day later after letting the car sit for a day i get in it and now it has a whining noise when i accelerates and still the idles too high and the reverse problem still the same so obv what he did didn't fix the situation yeah the axles was broke and eventually i had to replace it but that wasn't the reason i was bringing the car in i didn't even knew the axle was even broke

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If the fluid level in the transmission is too high or too low that can cause the transmission to malfunction. The fluid level should be corrected and then the transmission re-evaluated. With regard to the high idle, In the majority of vehicles, engine idle speed is controlled by an idle control valve (ICV). The ICV valve can fail or a faulty or blown fuse in other electronically controlled systems can cause the IAC motor to malfunction, leading to a higher than normal engine idle speed. Failures in the ICV valve itself are often due to excessive carbon buildup in the intake manifold. Other possible causes of a high idle include vacuum leaks, a malfunctioning throttle and, rarely, a PCM/ECM malfunction. With regard to vacuum leaks, on a fuel injected engine a vacuum leak will cause a high engine idle as the engine’s oxygen sensor detects the extra oxygen entering the engine through the vacuum leak. The newly lean (too much air relative to fuel) status will result in the engine’s computer pumping in additional fuel, resulting in an abnormally high idle. A malfunctioning throttle system can cause both a high idle as well as an engine stall. A dirty air intake or cracked air intake tube is often the culprit. If you desire that this high idle problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine idle speed diagnostic - high idle and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.