Q: engine misfire. 1995 Toyota Corolla

the engine skips while driving but not at an idle. it can drive at any speed but every once in a while it will cut out for a second. I have replaced the wires, plugs, cap rotor, and all internal components of the distributor. I also replace the fuel pressure regulator . when it first died it kept misfiring and then died. it was only when I replaced the insides of the dist the tit ran again and usually when cold it starts and runs fine and then it starts to miss. I can drive for miles and no problems and then a bunch of misfires. has mechanics confused? it passed smog with only a slightly high Co reading but nothing anyone could pinpoint​.

Hello. These types of issues can be hard to diagnose. Most of the time they are caused by a failure within the distributor itself. Also common is the shaft being slightly worn, which will cause the RPM reading to be off at certain times and lead to the vehicle performing like this. I have also seen the fuel pressure drop off from a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter cause misfires, so these should be checked also. If you would like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the misfiring problem and have this properly corrected.