Q: ASE certification

Hello, I am a college student majoring in automotive. My teacher told me that I should take my ASE test as soon as I am finished the class, which I did but I failed the test. I'm just wondering since I have no work experience, that the experience will "greatly" help in my future test taking to passing any ASE test that I take? Will the work experience help a lot or just a little. I'm motivated to become a master tech in the future and be dealership certified as well. Thank you!

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Yes, experience will greatly help out a lot when it comes to taking Automotive Service Excellent tests (ASE). When it comes to taking ASE tests, you need to think about the procedures and not about book work. The tests are designed to determine how much knowledge you have obtained in the field. Following procedures is the key to success when it comes to passing an ASE test. For example, When the question asks "How to check a battery", you would need to know how to use a Vat-40 or Ferret-40 to do a proper load test. The test will give you different answers and sometimes it will give you 2 correct answers, however, one answer is more correct than the other. You can have a retest for free, so I would read up on the procedures and take the test again. If you need assistance on how to take the test or someone to talk about procedures, you could get in touch with YourMechanic and talk to our Mechanic Operations team in order to have this taken care of.

3. ASE certification