Q: My 2005 acura tl tries to start when turn the key but it wont actually crank. Autozone said strter, alt, batt are good

asked by on July 20, 2017

My 2005 acura tl tries to start when i turn the key but it wont actually crank. Advance auto and autozone said that my battery, alternator and starter are all fine. Whats up?

Be sure the engine immobilizer system is not activated thus preventing the car from starting.

If the engine is not turning over (cranking) with the key held in the start position, that means that there is a problem in the starter and/or the starter circuit. If there is no starter motor operation at all with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power AND voltage drops to the starter motor/solenoid. If there is no power, or a large voltage drop is measured, then the electrical circuit supplying the starter motor has a fault. The circuit that will have to be tested begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, and terminations. On the other hand, if the starter is getting power with the key in the "start" position, and yet the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is replaced. Note that starters can and sometimes do develop intermittent faults due to bad spots on the armature. AutoZone and Advance Auto tests will not necessarily detect intermittent faults and, more importantly, those store tests are not performed under load. These "no load" tests mean that a defective starter can test "good" in a store test. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this no start issue resolved for you promptly. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.