Q: Engine light on. P000B Code

P000B exhaust (B) Camshaft position slow response Bank 1. I got that on the scanner today. Can you please tell me what service do you recommend me to get on yourmechanic.com and also what part i need?

Thank You,

Anthony Torres

A: Hello. When this code comes up it is becaus...

Hello. When this code comes up it is because the computer is not detecting that the camshaft is moving as it should when the variable valve timing system is functioning. This can be caused by a number of things. It can be due to old engine oil, the wrong oil weight, a dirty oil filter, a bad camshaft position sensor, a bad cam actuator or a more serious engine issue. I usually start by checking the oil and making sure that it is at the right level. If I suspect the oil may be an issue I change it and install the correct filter. I then clear the code and see if it returns. If it does then I move to checking the camshaft position sensor and the camshaft actuator to make sure they are functioning as they should be. Since you are considering YourMechanic, a diagnostic Check Engine Light inspection will best suit you.