Q: Car will not move when in gear but will shift in gear and turn the tires when jacked off the ground. 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

2000 chevy cavalier manual transmission when i put it in gear the car jumps instead of moving, jacked it up and the tires spin freely with no problem by hand but when started in gear they just jump but dont actually move forward unless the front tires are off the ground .

Hi - I am afraid you have a broken gear or shaft in the drivetrain - specifically in the transmission assembly. The jerky motion, but without real rotation of the wheels, indicates something in either the transmission (gear set, shaft) or the differential, possibly even the axle shaft inside the differential - has failed. If there is any good news, all of these components are in the transmission, so removing the one major components gets you to the problem. I recommend a drivetrain inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car will not move when in gear but will shift in gear and turn the tires when jacked off the ground. 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier