Q: Car won't start; key popped when key turned

asked by on February 03, 2016

My car won't start. It popped when the key turned in the ignition. There is a clicking sound at the center rear of the engine under the hood. Could be starter and or ignition coil?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The battery and/or the starter may be bad. The first thing that needs done is check the battery to see if it is good and will hold a charge. The starter needs over 12 volts with over 175 amps of power to work as it should. If the starter does not get close to this from the battery it may just click or turn slow. Have your battery and cables checked first and then the starter can be checked to see if it is good. I recommend you have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic inspect your starting system for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr