Q: I was told my steering angle sensor has a short in it. When ever I first start driving it will randomly lose power to the gas pedal.

asked by on March 27, 2017

I was told my steering angle sensor has a short in it. When ever I first start driving it will randomly lose power to gas pedal and there is a grinding sound. Then when the abs light comes on it stops doing it all together

Hi there. Use a diagnostic tool and check the data from the steering angle sensor. See if the steering angle changes and the wheel velocity is displayed when the steering wheel is moved. If no change, then the steering angle sensor is faulty and needs replaced. The grinding sound maybe the brake system being active with the traction control or the anti-lock brake system engaging when it is not to. Check the wheel speed sensors to see if there is a fault. If the wheel speed sensors are good, then the plunger motor could be malfunctioning. If you need further assistance with your ABS light being on and the steering angle issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.