Q: Low Coolant light flashing.

The Low Coolant light is flashing for about 30 seconds after the initial startup for the day. I'm not sure whether to clean out the overflow tank, or whether the vehicle needs a new ECTS, thermostat, or new coolant.

A: When you see a flashing Low Coolant light o...

When you see a flashing Low Coolant light on your Saturn’s dashboard, the coolant level sensor is reading that there is no coolant in your expansion tank. This is very easy to verify, just be sure your car is cold, such as first thing in the morning. First you will want to check under the hood for your expansion tank. This tank is located on the passenger side of the engine bay, along the side of the fender. Open the expansion tank cap and look inside to see if you are low on coolant. If you are, it is likely you have a leak. If you are not, it is likely the coolant level sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank is either stuck or has failed. In my experience I have seen some cases of removing the expansion tank and cleaning it can unstick the coolant level sensor. Other times it will need to be replaced. Whether you have a leak or you need your sensor cleaned or replaced, it’s best to enlist the help of a certified mechanic so they can visually inspect why your low coolant light is on in your car.