Q: The car won't go into gear while running, makes a grinding sound

asked by on May 25, 2016

While my car is running, it wouldn't go into gear. It makes a grinding sound. It's easy to push the clutch to the limit. But, when the car isn't running, it would go into gear without issues. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Clutch is not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The clutch may not be disengaging. This would need to be checked by having the car in gear and clutch in then start the car to see if the car wants to move forward. Do this test when you are clear to move without hitting something. If the vehicle lurches forward with the clutch pushed in, then have the clutch system diagnosed by a mechanic to see if it is the hydraulic system or the pressure plate causing the problem. The most common problem is the hydraulic clutch not pushing in the clutch pressure plate.