Q: Air conditioning hissing noise - 2016 Infiniti QX60

My car is making a high pitched hissing noise when the air conditioning is on. I’ve had 3 Infiniti dealers tell me it was normal, and I don’t think it is. I’ve driven Infiniti cars for years and they never did this. What do you think? And how can I fix this?

A: Hello. Some vehicles may indeed emit a hiss...

Hello. Some vehicles may indeed emit a hissing noise as part of their normal operation, however, the noise is usually very quiet, not enough to cause a bother. If the noise is considerably loud, that may be an indicator of a possible issue with one of the vehicle's components. A few things that can produce a hissing noise are AC refrigerant leaks at any of the lines, leaky ducts in the dashboard, a faulty blower motor, or a bad compressor. Due to their mechanical nature, noises can often be difficult to pinpoint, so a careful diagnosis of the AC noise is recommended.