Q: How fast and how long can I drive with a broken CV shaft?

My boot has cracked and needs to be replaced but I have to get the car to a town thirty minutes away from where I live

Once the boot of the CV joint has broke open then over a short time the grease will be washed and slung out of the joint. At the same time you are losing the lube you are getting dirt, dust, and debris into the joint that will act like sandpaper on the CV joint’s ball bearings and joint cup. This may wear out the joint in a few weeks or months.

As long as the joint has not gotten noisy on turns you should be able to drive a short distance before getting it replaced. Alternatively, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location to service your CV shaft.