Q: Replaced starter and flywheel twice and still have the same problem

Replaced starter originally cause it was grinding. so it was still grinding after that so I changed both started and flywheel and still did same thing.have change both twice.each time it cranks over a couple of times and then chips teeth off flywheel

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1993 Jeep Wrangler. Your vehicle starter was replaced by a new starter part number and the shim should not be used. If you are using an aftermarket starter, then you may need to have the shim installed to keep it from damaging the flywheel. I recommend putting a .045 shim in if you are not using one, and take the shim out if you are using one. Either way, this should fix the problem. If you would like to have the fault verified, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the grinding problem and have this issue corrected.