Q: My car won't start half the time but if u wait 45 mins it will?

asked by on December 30, 2016

I have a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais 2.5. the problem having is staring the car and frequent stalouts. I ve narrowed it down to a electrical issue. It s got no fire in the pugs or wires when it does not want to start (meaning in twenty mins it will crank) I ve changed the pugs and wires as well as the starter and the battery. I ve also been told it could be my crank shaft sensor but not 100℅ if you have any idea what could be the culprit please help

Ignition Coil Replacement $116.03 - $516.36 Get a Quote

Hi There, What you are describing is a common sign of a failing ignition coil. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This type of temperature cycling happens because every time you shut the engine off, the fan stops running, the coolant stops flowing and the temperature under the hood rises. Every time you start the engine again the coolant flows, the fans turn on, and the temperature drops. When this heat dissipates and is absorbed under the hood, it is trapped causing this cycling effect. Components that contain heat sensitive materials include parts like coils, injectors, igniters, and some sensors. Any of these may be potentially subject to this same kind of heat problem which can be very difficult to trace. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose your ignition system.