Q: When temperature is below freezing have a hard time starting vehicle (No crank no start).

When I turn the key in below freezing temperatures there is a no crank no start, however random times it will start up on the second try but have to hold the key in the start position for awhile. Its weird cause I have a brand new alternator, battery, and starter, had my spark plugs and wires changed when I got the car last year and had the recall done to the ignition as well. What can be the initial cause for the no crank no start? What other parts can malfunction in lower temperatures. Coils are good as well. I just find it weird because its random. On rare occasions it will eventually start after multiple key turns. Almost through winter now but really would like to find the cause. Don't want to ruin my starter either.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several electrical issues that occur in extreme cold weather. Everything is harder to do below freezing temperatures. If the components are all fine, the game you are playing is more preventative. Make sure you have a battery with high cold cranking amps. Secondly, try to keep the vehicle as covered as possible. If you can keep it in a garage, that is ideal. If you can’t, you will want to find it a cover of some sort. Keeping some of the moisture off of it will help as well. When you go to start the car, turn the key to the "On" position for a few moments. This will allow the computer to engage and run some initial tests. It also allows the fuel pump to prime and get ready to start when commanded to. The starter solenoid has time to energize, and the systems have time to communicate. If you believe there is something more serious wrong with the vehicle, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.