Q: 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman jerks to the left upon deceleration

asked by on August 16, 2016

My car runs fine when I drive it in the city traffic. However, when I'm driving on the highway at higher speeds, it starts jerking. Upon acceleration, it ocassionally jerks to the right. When I'm slowing down, each time it starts jerking to the left. After having the car serviced, I was told that this is not unusual because one tire accelerates faster than the other one. I'm concerned that this could make me lose control over the vehicle when I'm driving fast. Is this normal? Is there any way I could get it fixed?

Control Arm Assembly Replacement $115.19 - $913.70 Get a Quote
Car jerks forward at high speeds Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. We will be happy to assist you with your 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman. The issue you are describing could result from a few possible things. It may be a faulty electronic steering control module causing the jerk. The steering control module will assist the driver in keeping the wheels straight if they are thrown out of line by hitting a pothole for example.

The electronic steering system is supposed help the driver keep control over the car and correct the angle of the steering during emergencies. There’s a possibility that the steering system is overcorrecting and or correcting when not needed.

I suggest that you have a technician inspect the electronic steering control module. Also I would suggest to have a technician inspect the subframe bushings, control arm bushings, and trailing arm bushings. If those bushings are badly worn they can possibly cause a jerk, especially when under acceleration. If you want to have this checked by an expert, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the jerking issue and let you know what should be done.