Q: My car runs and shifts gears but will not move what can be problem 1995 Pontiac Grand Am

Car runs changed my ignition switch but now shifts gears but won't move what can cause this

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello - check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Most auto parts stores will do this for free on a "time-available" basis. It is possible a component of the shift linkage in the steering column was damaged or not re-assembled correctly when the ignition switch was replaced - preventing gear selection in the transmission. More than likely though, there is a problem with the forward clutches in the transmission. I would recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr