Q: Can no longer accelerate

On my drive home the other day, my 2014 Kia Soul all of a sudden slowed down and would not accelerate past 30 mph. I don't know what caused this, but it was quite bizarre! No lights came on and the car has under 5,000 miles on it. I'm bringing it in for service today and am not happy with this purchase so far. What can I do?

A: This concern could be caused by a number of...

This concern could be caused by a number of problems. It could be related to the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system or the throttle-by-wire system. If there are no lights illuminating on the dash, it may be tricky to diagnose the problem. That said, your local Kia dealership should be able to perform computer scans and use a break-out box to help determine the cause of the issue. As far as not being happy with the purchase, Lemon laws vary by state. However, the manufacturer has to be given an opportunity to correct the related issues. If you feel that this might be a safety-related defect, a complaint can be filed with the NHTSA and they can investigate further.