Q: Gearshift not working

The car will not shift into gear. It won't start and the shifting lever in the car just moves smoothly back in forth and the gear won't catch. When I shifted into Park, it sounded like something broke. There was an audible noise from under the car.

A: It sounds like the mechanical shift linkage...

It sounds like the mechanical shift linkage connecting your shifter to the transmission gear selector has broke. The shifter is a mechanical component which is used every time the vehicle is driven, so it is more susceptible to failure. However, the linkage can be replaced. First, a proper inspection of the linkage should be performed by a qualified technician to verify that the shift linkage is actually broken.