Q: In 2nd gear, car feels like it might independently shift

When driving in traffic and beginning to accelerate, I am in 2nd gear when there is a feeling like the car independently changes gear and also feels like it might stall. Then it jerks and pulls off. However, the gear that I was in does not change. This is very annoying when I am in rush-hour traffic. When in slow traffic, it is even more uncomfortable and frustrating. I have taken it four different times to the same Audi dealer and whatever they did only fixed it on a temporary basis. It has gone back to the same problem! When I first noticed this, I thought it was just the engine running so I waited to see about it. This problem just keeps on and on. The technicians can not seem to replicate the problem. When I drive it all the time, it is definitely there. What do you suggest that might be the cause of this?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing about your 201...

Hi there, thanks for writing about your 2011 Audi S5. Your vehicle's transmission has 2 clutches that alternately engage and disengage, under computer software control, as the vehicle accelerates and decelerates. The software compensates for wear in most cases, but if the clutch gets oil on it from a leaky engine or transmission seal, jerky shift changes can occur. There is a software update for the transmission/clutch controller. Check with your Audi dealer for this software fix. If your car starts to stall, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your stalling problem.