Q: Hi! I have a 2001 Mazda Protege that is giving me some transmission problems.

First, when cold but warm enough to begin driving, the car will take off as if the parking brake were still on. It refuses to pick up speed until it warms up to its desire and then it begins to function at a more normal performance. While driving, it will occasionally act funny and shift up or down a little harder than it usually does. Rarely, when I turn it on and wait for it to warm up a bit, I will put it in drive and the o/d off button will flash sporadically and the transmission will feel like it's switching even though I'm still parked. Any idea what this might be?

The problem sounds like the filter is getting clogged or the front main transmission pump is getting weak and internal seals are leaking. I would suggest having the filter screen cleaned and fluid replaced to see if shifting improves? If it does not get better then the transmission would need to be rebuilt or replaced.

3. Hi! I have a 2001 Mazda Protege that is giving me some transmission problems.