Q: Why do I continue to have a burning oil and fuel smell in my 2009 Dodge Charger

asked by on February 08, 2017

Hi! My name is John. I have a 2009 dodge charger 2.7L V6. While driving home a month ago today I began to smell raw gasoline in the cabin of my car, the check engine light came on, car began to misfire, white smoke poured out of my exhaust pipe. So, I took it to the shop the next day. They diagnosed my car and read off the following codes: PO202 injector 2 control circuit, P2305 ignition coil, PO573 cruise control brake switch & PO420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold(Bank 1). I agreed to allow the shop to fix the problems, remove & replace my ECM. 3 weeks later the car is running great. During the 4th week I began to smell oil burning. Took it back to the shop & they checked it out and said that I had a pinhole leak in my Valve cover gasket/driver side. So, I had them to replace both upper valve cover gasket to resolve the problem etc. During week 6; it all happen again burning oil,smoking, smelling gas in cabin & misfiring. Now they can't seem to fix it. Any good advice??

Smell of oil in car Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. If you continue to have leaks in the engine then there may be too much pressure built up in the engine. This is usually caused by excessive blow by due to wear. It can also be caused by multiple things. It sounds like the leak is also causing the fuel smell as a misfire will do this. There are also common issues with the valve seat failing in this engine which will cause the misfire and will cause a fuel smell. If you want to have someone else take a look at it, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where this leak and smell are coming from] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/smell-of-oil-in-car-inspection