Q: Having trouble shifting out of park

I have recently been having trouble we with my truck shifting out of park. When I leave in the morning it doesn't want to shift, I have to turn the wheels as far as possible both ways once or twice before I can shift to drive or reverse. However there are no problems shifting gears just from park to drive or reverse after it sits for awhile. I am in Kansas so it has gotten cold but I am not sure if that would have any affect on it.

Hello. It sounds like you have an issue with the brake switch. When the switch fails it keeps the shifter from unlocking. The shift interlocking system will not allow the shifter to move unless the brake pedal is applied. I would check to see if the brake lights are working. If they are not then I would start with the switch. If it is fine then I would test the circuit to see if there is the correct voltage present as the locking solenoid may have failed. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the shifter is not unlocking] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-does-not-shift-from-park-to-drive-inspection